Tuesday, July 28, 2009

H-Town Sneaker Summit 09

In lieu of the upcoming H-Town Sneaker Summit Summer 2009 edition, it is only right I reflect on the summits' of past. The last few seemed very well received and honestly, in my opinion anyway, they get better each time. The venues get bigger and the talent gets better. As far as OG’s go, it doesn’t get too much better than Bun B the Ombudsman. He’s a Houston rap staple since the times of yore and our resident oldhead sneakerhead (if you have to classify these things. No shots). I won’t get into my thoughts on what makes a sneakerhead these days, because I surely don’t know anymore. Then again you can’t see the qwerty keys through my jeans, so that probably has something to do with it. But, to each his own. Do you. I just like sneakers anyway. All the labels and whatnot fall by the wayside.

Bun hosted part of the Winter Summit with a raffle giveaway of a pair of his 1 of 1 “RIP Pimp C” Nike Dunk ID’s. He’d already had an in-store at Premium Goods the day before for his t-shirt release in conjunction with The Hundreds.

Screwed Up records and Tapes. Up the street from Active Athlete.

You can see more pics of the event over at The Hundreds. (Editor’s note: Chris from San Antonio in the video below actually probably had the best weekend ever)



All breeds of sneaker enthusiast were in attendance so it made for good people watching. I was with my partner Cabby of Sneaker Lab and 3Kings fame, so as expected, a good time was had by all. The DJ’s played to the home crowd and it felt like 99’ all over again. I had a chance to run into my boy Thomas from The Tipping Point and Bun B the Ambassador himself. As you can see in the video, Bun is very comfortable in the city as he calls out “lames”, berates an onlooker and disses the State’s/America’s dream team, the Dallas Cowboys, all while receiving cheers from the crowd.

Let’s hope this Sunday’s Summit is even better. I’m a Dom Kennedy fan, as you already know, so I’m even more amped to see the performance. In addition, on Friday night, Pac Div, B.o.B aka Bobby Ray, Kid Cudi and Asher Roth are performing at the House of Blues. You already know we’ll be in attendance, so it looks like a grand time to be had for all. I personally think Kid Cudi is meh, but I won't stop the show over one monkey. B.o.B. gets great acclaim and, though I haven’t given his music much burn, people compare him to 3000 and 3000 is top 5. I’ve seen Asher and his live show is bananas. For whatever flak he may get about his music, I respect the energy. Pac Div. Well I can’t say enough about them, so I won’t. Why they’re opening instead of headlining is beyond me, but I’ll be at the venue bright and early to catch they’re performance. Tennis shoes, great performances and surrounded by good people. I can’t really ask for too much more out of a weekend in clutch city. Expect an update post Summit.

Bonus: Push the pictures, receive a treat.









Props to Dub CNN

No comments: